Monday, March 7, 2011

Wandering in Wonderland

Tonight I read through Alice and Wonderland (selections by Bump) by Lewis Carroll for the first time since my childhood. It brought back so many whimsical memories, but also relevant memories. This time, it reminded me of Tim Burton, pop culture, and the more mature side of Alice became apparent. Still, I pictured her as a sweet, innocent, dreamy little girl, and it took me awhile to understand why others view her character as sadistic or cruel. To me, she was dreaming of a world where she was on the same playing ground as the animals. To me, it was a story of equality and understanding. To me, it was an adventure in maturation. Some girl trying to find out who she is and where she fits in, in her mind, and in reality. So I read it again… 

Alice in Wonderland shoot by Annie Lebowitz
“'I wish I hadn’t cried so much!' said Alice, as she swam about, trying to find her way out. I shall be punished for it now, I suppose, by being drowned in my own tears! That WILL be a queer thing, to be sure! However, everything is queer to-day (Carroll,7).” Alice suddenly didn’t seem so sweet the second read through. She was only regretful of her actions when it comes back to be a burden for her. She didn’t think of the smaller creatures that might be affected by her puddle of tears, until she was forced down to their level to experience it herself. She didn’t think about those smaller when she was crying. In fact, such selfishness kept resurfacing when she interacted with animals. She never thinks of others, until she is put in the situation where she has to. She doesn’t have the ability or knowledge to know how to put herself in someone else’s shoes.
“Who in the world am I? Ah, THAT’S the great puzzle! (Carroll,5)” The story of Alice in wonderland is that of maturation. It happens naturally, all the time, when put in an unfamiliar situation. I could see how strange it would be to enter such a different world then what I’m used to, especially something I’ve been told is impossible. Like if you find a stray cat and take it in, the cat probably would be as scared as Alice in a strange house with a litter box. It’s like Cady in Mean Girls, where she thinks the rules in school are preposterous and foreign. Everyone handles situations differently, clinging to what they are familiar with to try to understand all the unfamiliar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment